2020-2021 ALPS Meeting Dates
GATE Parent Info Night
Thursday, January 14, 2021 7:00 – 8:00 p.m.
7:05-7:30 Amy Symons Burke will present the basics of differentiated instruction, effective pedagogy for gifted learners, and how to support your child at home
7:30-7:50 Cheryl Wozniak will present on the curriculum PUSD has adopted to meet the needs of a wide range of learners
7:50-8:00 Ella Grossberg, ALPS Board Member, will discuss the mission of ALPS and how they can be of support to parents
Please join ZOOM meeting here:
Please feel free to email any questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
ALPS Board Meeting
Tuesday, January 5, 7:00 p.m.
ALPS Board Meeting
Monday, November 2, 7:30 p.m.
ALPS Parent Sharing Forum
Thursday, October 22, 7:00 p.m.
In this informal discussion group, we shared our experiences, resources, and ideas regarding our advanced learners, learned how to talk to your child’s teacher, enrichment programs, and remote learning. Sponsored by Piedmont ALPS (Advanced Learners Program Support), facilitated by parent Kim Fisher. Via Zoom.
If you are interested, check out these new resources and information for families and educators:
- New resources discussed at our ALPS Parent Sharing Forum last week
- Davidson Academy Online Webinars about teaching online — topics include social-emotional learning and executive functioning. Free clips available at https://www.davidsonacademy.
- How to Boost Executive Functioning Skills from Home, including the impact of distance learning
- What Does Twice Exceptional Mean? Identifying and Nurturing Gifted Children with ADHD – from ADDitude Magazine
Please email any questions to: email@example.com
Piedmont ALPS Kickoff:
Meet School Board Candidates
Tuesday, September 22, 7:00 p.m.
In this meeting, we introduced ALPS, gathered some member input and met with the candidates for School Board this year. A great first step towards addressing your child’s educational needs, as well as finding out what the school board candidates’ plan for advanced learners.
If you missed it, click here for the recording of the Virtual Meeting:
This year, Piedmont ALPS looks forward to:
- Ensuring high-ability students are challenged even with remote learning and budget concerns
- Continuing the Parent Sharing Forum (PSF), where parents of advanced learners meet to share best practices and resources
- Organizing the Piedmont Math Team for participation in the Math Kangaroo Competition
- Sharing information about opportunities and events for advanced learners (and their teachers)
2019-2020 ALPS Meeting Dates
Past ALPS Board Meetings
Please email any questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday, March 30, 7:30 p.m.
Julie Caskey’s house, 782 Kingston Ave., Piedmont
2019-2020 ALPS BOARD MEETINGS:
Tuesday, 10/01 — 7:00 p.m.
Tuesday, 11/12 — 7:00 p.m.
Tuesday, 1/14 — 7:00 p.m.
Monday, 2/10 — 7:00 p.m.
Monday, 3/30 — 7:00 p.m.
Monday, 5/04 — 7:00 p.m.
MATH KANGAROO CONTEST – March 19, 2020
More information at http://piedmontalps.org/math-contest/
Parent Sharing Forum
Wednesday, March 4, 7:30 p.m.
85 Fairview Ave., Piedmont
In this informal discussion group, we can share our experiences, resources, and ideas regarding our advanced learners. Facilitated by parent Kim Fisher. Please RSVP to email@example.com. Potential discussion topics include:
- Enrichment opportunities for kids outside of school: i.e., math circles, robotics, orchestras, coding camps, writing workshops, college art classes, etc.
- How to approach your school/teacher for differentiation and enrichment during school hours.
- Social and emotional topics such as perfectionism, anxiety, peer connections, executive functioning.
- Additional topics recommended by the attendees (we’ll solicit ideas in advance).
Gifted/2e Conferences and Online Presentations
The Bright & Quirky Child Summit – March 12-16, 2020
Ease the struggle for bright kids with learning, social or emotional challenges. World-class psychologists, educators, and child development experts share tools and insights to help bright & quirky kids thrive, in this FREE online summit. https://brightandquirky.com/summit-2020/
2 Days of 2e Virtual Conference is for parents, educators, and clinicians, to learn how to best reach and teach 2e learners (gifted with a learning difference). 12 renowned experts and thought leaders discuss topics from emotion regulation, social thinking, and trauma to learning styles, classroom regulation, and teaching strategies. Participants learn how to use research-based tools for their home, classroom or clinical office. Content will remain available on-demand through April 2020. Register at http://2daysof2e.com.
Other Piedmont Meeting Notes
Monday, Dec. 9, 3:30-6:30 p.m.
PHS Student Center (note new location)
PUSD Strategic Planning Meetings
2019-20 is the district’s third year of implementing their Strategic Plan which focuses on student success in all areas — socio-emotional, behavioral, academics. All Piedmont parents are encouraged to participate and give input on district actions and services. The Strategic Plan is also known as the LCAP (Local Control Accountability Plan), required by the state.
All of these meetings will be combined with PMS Site Council meetings this year.
Additional Parent Information Nights may be planned, stay tuned to district communications.
Tri-School Elementary Site Council:
All meetings are held at Wildwood or the PHS Student Center 3:30-5:00 p.m. Dates TBD. Detailed information for Tri-School Elementary Site Council available at each school’s website.
PHS Site Council:
All meetings are THURSDAYS at 3:30-5:00 p.m. in PHS Student Center.
See http://www.piedmont.k12.ca.us/phs/about-phs/site-council.php for more information.