Inspiring a Passion for Learning
We support K-12 programs that help advanced learners stay engaged, challenged, and learning during the school day. Our letters to the school district clearly define our annual goals.
- ALPS District Letter 2014-2015
- GPS District Letter 2013
- GPS District Letter 2012
- GPS District Letter 2010
- Supported creation of new Site Level GATE Coordinator stipend positions for teachers to support their colleagues in meeting the needs of gifted and advanced learners
- Conducted successful campaign to support part-time district-wide differentiation specialist
- Contributed funds for a math differentiation specialist for Common Core 6 Math
- Hosted 2e/Twice Exceptional Movie Night with PRAISE
- Participated in Gifted Advisory Council (GAC) meetings with administration, teachers, and parents, including work on GATE identification and teacher training
- Presented joint event with PUSD administration, teachers, and parents about “A Focus on Differentiation”
- Shared news and information with our members and the broader community
- Below are some examples of what your support helped us accomplish in the 2015-2016 school year:
During the school year 2014-2015, our group:
● Identified and helped fund the cost of hiring a third-party expert (Dr. Cheryl Holzmeyer) to synthesize relevant research to inform the decisions of the Piedmont Math Task Force (e.g., whether to adopt an integrated or traditional pathway; whether and how to cluster students by ability level)
● Provided a $5,000 grant to support the district in sending 10 teachers to attend an intense 2-day workshop on “Differentiation for ALL learners” in Las Vegas, Nevada. The teachers who attended then shared their learnings with other teachers and district staff.
● Provided ongoing input, advice, and support to district staff on the design of the Common Core Math Pathways
● Co-hosted a Parent Information Night for Parents of Advanced Learners with Randy Booker on October 16, 2014
● In conjunction with district staff, co-hosted a teacher panel on differentiated instruction on December 2, 2014
● Hosted a talk by Piedmont High School Assistant Principal Ginna Guiang-Myers on differentiation and then facilitated an interactive group discussion with parents on May 11, 2015.
● Shared information about Common Core Math changes and other, related news to our members and the broader community
● Helped fund a second research report by Dr. Cheryl Holzmeyer on different approaches to identifying students as advanced learners.
● Provided $3,000 funding for hands-on professional development in writing for our tri-school Kindergarten teachers with the Lucy Calkins program.
In the previous year, our group:
- Launched a grant program and started funding teacher requests for programs/materials to support advanced learners
- Introduced and funded the Silicon Valley Math Initiative which PUSD will use for math curriculum and teacher training
- Provided Khan Academy training for 20+ teachers
- Hosted member events, bringing together 30-40 parents and teachers
- Worked with PUSD to refine roles for differentiation coaches at each school site
- Generated community support and awareness on PUSD plans for math pathways in the Common Core